Spicy Black Beans with Feta PDO and Avocado
Prep time: Approx 15 mins Cooking time: Approx 20 mins
- 1 small onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 x 400g tins of black beans (drained but liquid reserved)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
FOR THE TOSTADAS (OPTIONAL)
- Vegetable oil (for shallow-frying)
- 2-3 tortilla wraps (each cut into 6 wedges)
- 100g Feta PDO cheese (crumbled)
- 1 avocado (peeled, stoned and roughly chopped)
- Small bunch of coriander (roughly chopped)
- Lime wedges
1. Fry the onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the cumin and cinnamon and cook for a further minute until aromatic. Add the beans and a couple of tablespoons of the reserved liquid.
2. Cover the beans and cook gently for 10 minutes until they start to break down, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Mash about three-quarters of the beans roughly with a fork or the back of a spoon, leaving some whole. Alternatively, if it’s a less rustic-looking effect you’re after, pour the beans into a liquidiser and blitz until smooth. Heat through gently – if the mixture is too thick, add a little more reserved liquid from the beans. Season to taste.
3. The beans can be served as they stand, scattered with the Feta PDO, avocado, coriander and lime juice. If making the tostadas, pour the vegetable oil into a large frying pan to a depth of 2cm and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, fry the tortillas in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. The crispy tortillas should be assembled just before serving so that they don’t go soggy: spread them with the black bean mixture and garnish with crumbled feta, avocado and coriander. Serve with wedges of lime.